Moving Checklist and Itinerary
MOVING CHECKLIST AND ITINERARY
Getting ready for a house move well in advance will help to make sure the process goes as smoothly and quickly as possible. We’ve put together a checklist of the main milestones so that you can tick them off and plan ahead of the big move.
8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Moving companies can book up quickly; now is the time to start gathering estimates for rental vans and moving specialists.
- Start decluttering; schedule and plan a garage sale to sell any unwanted or unneeded items.
- If you have children, transfer school records to the new school.
- Get organized, start a file to record and keep all receipts, paperwork and estimates relating to your move.
- Gather all packaging materials you might need.
6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Select a moving company or rental van company and arrange critical details such as pick-up and delivery dates.
- If you are relocating to a new city, have your lawyer, doctor and other services provide you with referrals and any other required records.
- If you have pets, organize a check-up at the vets and obtain a copy of any veterinary records.
- Ascertain appointments and timetables with real estate agents.
4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Arrange disconnection dates with your utility company.
- Inform the relevant utility company of the connection date for your new property.
- Contact your local post office for change of address forms and information.
- Cancel any newspaper subscriptions and trash collection effective from your moving date.
- Cancel any other subscriptions that require one-month notice if they will not be continued from your new home. I.e. gym membership.
- Start packing the items you won’t need to use in the next few weeks.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Arrange and have your car serviced if you are moving and driving a long way.
- Clean out the refrigerator and defrost the freezer.
- Confirm dates with utility companies for connection to your new home.
- If you are moving a long distance and moving banks, ensure you close your chequing account and take all items from your safe deposit box.
The Day Before Moving Day
- Finish packing.
- Prepare a night bag for all the things you will need for the first night in your new home.
- Write down all meter readings.
- Put all relevant documents you may need on this day into an easy-to-access folder.
- Make sure you do a thorough check around the house to ensure you are not leaving anything behind, pets, kids, etc.